Friday, February 23, 2007

The problem with mainstream media

I love Sports Center as much as the next guy but I have a big problem with the way that big media covers the Phillies. Stories have been popping up left and right describing Jimmy Rollins premonitions about how well the Phillies will do this season and the Mets response to his comments. Don’t get me wrong I agree with everything Jimmy has said. I just don’t think that his words merit coverage.

I am glad that after the departure of Bobby Abreu and Mike Liberthal that Rollins has stepped into a leadership role. I think it’s great that he is trying to kick the Phillies buts into gear. But, doesn’t he see his teammates on a regular basis? Couldn’t he motivate them even better in person. There are so many interesting story lines that the major media has not given enough coverage. The Geoff Geary signing received one AP story. That’s it. Geary is one of the best relievers in the NL and will play a huge role in the Phillies success next season and he gets one story.

But I guess everyone wants to know what Tom Glavine thinks about Jimmy Rollins comments. Surprise! He thinks the Mets are the team to beat. What a compelling story.

Sources:
Notes: Rivalry heats up
By Ken Mandel / MLB.com


Picture of Jimmy Rollins from phillyburbs.com

2 comments:

Skeeter said...

Agreed. 95% of the stuff on TV is B.S. anyways.

I am absolutely falling in love with this 'rivalry' between these teams. I am praying it holds up all season. Rollins is moving up the ranks of my favorite player.

icarus236 said...

Rollins is pretty awesome. I hope he backs up his talk with solid play.