Saturday, April 14, 2007

Alfonseca is Charlie’s choice

I began to wonder today watching the game who would Manuel choose to pitch in eighth inning with the Phillies leading by three runs. As the penultimate frame approached I saw a number of relievers warming in the pen. In turn Matt Smith, Ryan Madson, and Antonio Alfonseca prepared for entering the game. Charlie’s choice was Antonio Alfonseca.

As I speculated during the summer what role Alfonseca would occupy, his health was the big question mark. The Texas Rangers cut Antonio because of injury issues and it was unclear whether the 35-year-old reliever was one hundred percent when the season started. After watching him pitch for a few games he looks great. His fastball has good movement and his sinker plummets like a rock when approaching the plate. A pitcher who has a great sinker like Alfonseca can keep opposing hitters from hitting the ball hard even when throwing in Citizen’s Bank Park. I hope I never have to write another post regarding who will be the Phillies set up man because Antonio is the man in the eighth.

Sources:
Picture of Antonio Alfonseca form MLB.com

6 comments:

GM-Carson said...

To be quite honest, Antonio Alfonseca is my choice for the 8th inning thus far too.

I actually want Ryan Madson optioned (if possible), traded, or released. He's progressingly getting worse every year.

icarus236 said...

I couldn't agree more with you about Madson. Let him pitch a few more innings so he can get his ERA below 5 and then package him with someone else for a better reliever.

Chris said...

Apparently he wasn't cut by the Rangers because he was hurt, he was cut because he sucked...so Alfonseca now says.

icarus236 said...

Either way the Rangers don't look so smart now.

Skeeter said...

Given our choices, Alfonseca may be the only man that can handle the set-up role. I thought he may be the 2007 Arthur Rhodes, but I don't see that happening.

... I hope I am right

icarus236 said...

Arthur Rhodes, that guy was a big inning waiting to happen.