Thursday, May 03, 2007

I can’t say I’m surprised

The Philadelphia Phillies are traveling to San Francisco minus their struggling closer Tom Gordon. Gordon has pain in his right elbow and will return to Philadelphia to see the doctor and I can’t say I’m surprised. Gordon is a very fine relief pitcher who has recently lost velocity on his fastball and the bite on his breaking pitches. So it makes sense that Gordon isn’t one hundred percent healthy.

This news hastens what seemed inevitable once the Phillies moved Brett Myers into the bullpen. Brett Myers is the Phillies closer for 2007. Alfonseca and Geary are best suited for pitching in a set up role. I think that whether or not Gordon takes a trip to the disabled list Myers will be the new closer. The best move for the Phillies is to let Gordon rest and get healthy. Gordon can’t help the Phillies pitching in any role if he doesn’t have his best stuff to throw. When Tom comes back he can set up Brett Myers.

Sources:
Phillies send Gordon home to have solder examined
From AP / ESPN.com

2 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I'm glad Myers is there to lock down the games, but we need a healthy Gordon back. This bullpen is not that good to begin with.

icarus236 said...

I agree. If Gordon comes back healthy this bullpen could become very strong.